Adjusting animals has been a THING ever since adjusting humans has been a thing! Dr. Denaro is an animal chiropractor as well as a human chiropractor. She works mostly with dogs, cats, horses, cattle and goats but any and all vertebrate animals can be adjusted. Animal chiropractic involves gentle mobilization of the spinal joints and extremities to restore proper bio-mechanics and nervous system function.
Animals of any age and any activity level can and should be adjusted regularly.
We often ask our pets to do things that their bodies are not meant to do. Believe it or not, horse’s backs are not designed to carry humans! Let alone carry a human while jumping 4′ fences. Dogs (especially small breed dogs) aren’t designed to jump off beds and couches multiple times a day, each and every day. Rescue and/or Track animals may have been subject to even more obscure and poor bio-mechanical activities and postures.
Chiropractic on animals uses manual (hands-on) adjustments to the specific joints that are not moving properly. Once correct bio-mechanics are restored, pain levels decrease in the animal, normal joint function is restored and inflammation can begin to decrease. As with humans, adjustments will typically need to be done repetitively in the beginning in order to train the joints, muscles and soft tissues to maintain this new normal. As the specific problems resolve, the adjustment appointments will be spread out to be less frequent.
Your pet may benefit from Chiropractic if they exhibit any of the following:
- Difficulty rising from lying down
- Muscle stiffness or weakness
- Shaking/Tremors in limbs or the body
- Mobility and gait abnormalities/Limping
- Toe Dragging
- Bowel or bladder control problems
- Abnormal irritability when being touched
- Different posture, i.e. hunchbacked, sitting on one hip instead of square
- Injury sustained
- Decreased performance in athletic ability
- Changes in behavior, mood, appetite
Symptoms specific to Horses and Large Animals:
- Difficulty bending or flexing
- Signs of resistance, i.e. Bucking, rearing, swishing tail
- Uneven gait or Difficulty with gait transitions
- Abnormal Spooking, Bolting, Head Tossing
- Uneven shoulders or hips
- Holding the tail to one side
- Lameness, Stiffness, Difficulty Maintaing Collection
- Won’t stand on three legs when hoof cleaning
- Short strides
- Abnormal refusal at jumps
Conditions that respond well to Chiropractic include:
- Osteoarthritis (arthritis)
- Pain associated with Hip Dysplasia
- Intervertebral Disc Disease (Slipped Disc)
- Idiopathic Lameness
- Weakness in a leg
- Urinary Incontinence
- Sports Injuries
- Other Neurological Conditions
Benefits of Animal Chiropractic Include:
- Less pain medication (or none at all!)
- Pet is more comfortable and happy
- Improved mobility
- Improved gait
- Improved bladder control
- Increased energy and improved health
- Better temperament and mood
- Improved athletic performance
- Pet is more playful
How to Make an Appointment
If you have a small animal that is able to be transported, Dr. Denaro will meet you at a local farm where we have the option to work outside or inside the barn (weather permitting).
For larger animals (horses, cattle, goats, alpacas, etc.), Dr. Denaro will travel to your animal’s barn (Travel radius 45 miles).
The first visit will include a consultation, exam and chiropractic adjustments if deemed necessary. If the animal’s condition does not warrant Chiropractic care, referral to the animal’s primary veterinarian will be made.
To find out more, email Dr. Denaro at email@example.com to set up a complementary phone consultation! Appointments can also be requested online.